Today’s Dad Joke
My neighbor had the nerve to ring my doorbell at 3 o’clock in the morning.
Luckily I was still up playing the drums.
- Self Assessment Reflection next week
- Goals for the class
- Feedback for me
- R Lab 2
- This week was a lot: R + readings
- Use Thursdays as R working time
- More videos from me
The Plan for R
- A short assignment every few weeks
- Create and import network data
- Use visualizations to explore interesting connections
- Calculate basic network statistics
Why do people form relationships / edges?
- Psychological explanations
Triadic closure / transitivity
Why do people form edges?
- Rational explanations
- Social capital
- People seek to fill structural holes and obtain powerful positions in the network
- Social exchange theory
- Do the benefits of relationship outweigh the costs?
- What resources does each node have and need?
- Assumed to operate at the dyad / edge level
Focus of Activity
- Partially a pushback against these
- People choose activities
- Ties are often a function of activities, not dyadic choices