Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Quick housekeeping item
- Do we want to change rooms?
Things I should have mentioned last week
The wiki and the class
- Based on other courses, some wiki content overlaps with course at University of Washington
- There may be inconsistencies or errors
- If you can, fix them!
- Order of readings and assignments
- Class time is review of readings + difficulties with HW + start on next week’s HW?
- How to encourage interaction? Work in pairs?
- Discussion board
- Example Projects
- Names and netids of auditing students
- Sign up sheet
- What do we want this to look like?
- I’m compiling some example projects
- Whatever is most valuable for you
- Methods + result section of paper
- Jupyter notebook
- Slightly scary way to encourage mutual accountability
- Helps add diversity to our discussion
- Passing is OK
Bit By Bit
- Did the distinction between “readymade” and “custommade” data resonate with you?
- Where does the line blur between these two types?
- How does this distinction differ from the quantitative/qualitative dichotomy?
Bit By Bit
- Would you rather read more of this book or read more example papers?
Programming Principles Review
- What is a string?
- What is the difference between RAM and a hard drive?
- What is a variable?
- What is an interactive python prompt? How is that different from a program file?
- What do you still have questions about?